Advertising Research & Development Apprentice Reports to:
Senior Research ExecutiveLocation:
27 September 2021Interviews:
July 2021THE C4 APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMME
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below. AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship. For example, you are not eligible to apply for this role if you already have a Level 4 or higher qualification relating to Market Research. Please also ensure that you complete all of the application questions below and upload these along with your CV as without these we will be unable to progress your application QUALIFICATION Market Research (Level 4)
- qualification being finalised
Length: 18 Months DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION
The Advertising Research & Development (AR&D) team are part of the wider Strategy & Consumer Insight department at Channel 4. Our primary objective is to use insight to support the 4Sales team in selling advertising across our TV channels and All 4 platform. This is an important role, as it allows Channel 4 to fund the programmes we make!
We do this through:
- Proving that advertising on our TV channels and All 4 work.
- Supporting advertising agencies and brands deliver their marketing objectives through insight and understanding how marketing works.
- Doing research on our viewers to ensure we really understand our audiences.
- Staying on top of the latest industry trends and developments
- Recent examples of the kinds of projects the AR&D team have done include:
- A study looking at the relationships young people have with brands across 11 sectors and 200 brands. This has been used as a planning tool for understanding what objectives a brand should have when marketing to youth audiences.
- An investigation into how programming that is funded by a brand is received by audiences, and how it works.
- A project looking at how precisely how viewers use platforms like All 4 & ITV Hub
- Two ongoing online communities, 4Youth and Core4, both of which help us to understand our audience better.
You can have a look at some of our projects on the 4Sales website
During your time in the AR&D team you’ll get involved in all areas of the work we do, from primary research to understand how a brands marketing is working, to using our tools to see how many people watched Bake Off this week! There’ll also be specific projects for you to work on and we’ll help you to quickly build up your skills and knowledge of the media industry. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Work closely with the Senior Research Manager to support the Client Sales Team in helping marketing agencies and brands understand their audience to plan and deliver marketing activity. This will be across a broad range of sectors and industries.
- Understand how marketing works across our different platforms to prove benefits of advertising with Channel 4.
- Use a range of industry research tools as well as primary research to answer the questions of marketing planners at agencies across the UK.
- Help to support the insight needs of the 4Studio team including assisting in running effectiveness projects as well as wider research pieces.
- Support in the day to day running of our Your4 online community of 16-24 year olds; from keeping our community members engaged through tasks, to analysing and writing up results of projects.
- Help the team set up and run projects that prove how TV sponsorships and adverts work or explain how and why viewers watch our shows.
- Create regular reports, e.g. channel performance reports, advertising spend reports, etc.
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS
- A passion for Channel 4 and our remit, and all things TV.
- A passion for advertising and understanding how marketing works.
- Curiosity about what makes people tick.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good numeracy skills and an eye for detail.
- Ability to follow instructions and work both independently and part of a team.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is preferred.
- Experience of analysing data and digging for insights (either in college or work environment).
If you are unable to complete the Apprentice application, we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Skills for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here
If you have any questions about this apprenticeship vacancy please email the 4Skills team direct at 4Skills@channel4.co.uk RELOCATION
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
We know that applying for a job can be a lengthy process and that you invest a lot of time and effort in your application, it really doesn’t go unnoticed! Please bear with us as it may take a little time to get back to you following the close date due to the high volume of applications received but please be reassured we look at every application and will get back to you with an outcome as soon as we can. Stage One
– Online application processPlease don't forget to complete and upload your responses to all of the application questions as without these we will be unable to progress your applicationStage Two
– If successful through the first screening you will be invited to complete a short video interview to show us your passion for Channel 4 and tell us more about your background. You might even be asked to complete a short work-related task depending on the business area you apply to Final stage
- The final stage will consist of a virtual interview with the hiring manager where you will be able to find out more about the team you will be working with and ask any questions that you may have.
We look forward to receiving your application!