Commercial Events ApprenticeReports to:
Commercial Events ManagerLocation:
London Start date
: 27 September 2021Interviews:
July 2021THE C4 APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMME
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential bootcamps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. Due to COVID there could be some changes in the way that training is delivered, for example it may be virtually rather than in person. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship. For example, you are not eligible to apply for this role if you have an L3 qualification or higher in Events. Please also ensure that you complete all of the application questions below and upload these along with your CV as without these we will be unable to progress your application QUALIFICATION Events Assistant
- Level 3
Length - 15 MonthsTEAM DESCRIPTION
4Sales is the financial engine-room of Channel 4. This team of over 250 people secure investment from advertisers which then funds almost everything else our business does. That pre-roll ad for a supermarket on All 4 has [in part] funded British film-makers through Film4 and that brand which sponsors comedy on 4 has [in part] funded Channel 4 News’ award-winning journalism.
4Sales secures revenue from advertisers by offering a suite of advertising products to purchase across our entire TV and Digital portfolio – and some of the portfolios of UKTV and Discovery, whom we represent in the advertising market. Most of our team (including this role) are based in our London HQ, with further smaller teams in Manchester and Leeds – although at the moment, we’re mostly working from home during the Covid pandemic. This role sits at the heart of 4Sales, as part of a small Commercial Marketing and Events team. It’s our job to make 4Sales famous [well, in advertising circles at least] and to make our products and services attractive to potential advertisers and media buying agencies.
We do this by working closely with almost every team in the department, understanding what it is that makes 4Sales “special” and then finding all manner of ways to shout about that to our audience. For example, we run websites, send newsletters, create videos and publish research. We organise speaking opportunities, make branded giveaways and – most importantly for this role – organise a substantial and diverse calendar of B2B events. These events range from huge exciting parties packed with celebs, to small intimate dinners between executives. From residential conferences to short, sharp webinar broadcasts. But no matter what the event format, it all has to be to a high standard – and with a little “Channel 4” edge.
By joining this team, you’ll be in the thick of the action, supporting the rest of the team on collaborative projects and being asked to work proactively on initiatives of your own. Creative minds are welcomed, but a penchant for the logistical and administrative tasks that make events happen is also a must.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
In this role, you’ll support the Commercial Events Manager in the creation, development and implementation of our annual events calendar. Evidently, specific responsibilities will vary by project, but the successful candidate can expect to perform the following tasks;
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Idea generation for new events solutions
- Market research for the latest event trends and event tech
- Guestlist management
- Supplier management on specific briefs to ensure on time and in budget delivery
- Budget management responsibilities
- Responsibility for accommodation and travel requirements for guests and on-screen talent attending our events
- Ad hoc event support
- Supporting Commercial Event manager to delivery virtual event webinars Ownership of specific internal 4Sales staff events and staff engagement activities
- Manage branded merchandise stock and fulfilment requirements
- Collation of marketing assets
- As this is an event-based role, the successful candidate will need to be able to work numerous evenings and undertake occasional trips within the UK as part of their role. In these circumstances, time in lieu will be offered and for ‘late-night’ or ‘away from home’ events, Channel 4 will pay for transportation or accommodation where appropriate.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of Channel 4’s portfolio of products and output
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Good numeracy skills and attention to detail
- Resilience when dealing with colleagues and customers
- Proactive approach and able to demonstrate initiative
- Ability to juggle different jobs throughout the day, multi-task and keep track of key priorities
- Excellent communication skills
- Attendance at early morning and late evening events will be required from time to time
- Works well within a small team, willing to be adaptable and take on a variety of different tasks
- Proven desire to work within the events industry in some form
- Be passionate about and have an understanding of the Channel 4 remit
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS
- Desire to learn new skills
- Experience of working alone and as part of a team
If you are unable to complete a written application form, we want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual. If needed we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Skills for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here.
If you have any questions about this apprenticeship vacancy please email the 4Skills team direct at 4Skills@channel4.co.uk RELOCATION
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
We know that applying for a job can be a lengthy process and that you invest a lot of time and effort in your application, it really doesn’t go unnoticed! Please bear with us as it may take a little time to get back to you following the close date due to the high volume of applications received but please be reassured, we look at every application and will get back to you with an outcome as soon as we can. Stage One
– Online application processPlease don't forget to complete and upload your responses to all of the application questions as without these we will be unable to progress your applicationStage Two
– If successful through the first screening you will be invited to complete a short video interview to show us your passion for Channel 4 and tell us more about your background. You might even be asked to complete a short work-related task depending on the business area you apply to Final stage
- The final stage will consist of a virtual interview with the hiring manager where you will be able to find out more about the team you will be working with and ask any questions that you may have.
We look forward to receiving your application!