Social Media Assistant Reports to:
Social Media ManagerDepartment:
The recently-created 4Studio is the engine room for C4’s digital acceleration strategy, with the mission to create, adapt and distribute brilliant content across the key social media channels. We work very closely with key people and departments within C4 to make this a success.
4Studio is based in C4’s new National HQ in Leeds and is a key component of C4’s regional strategy, creating creative job opportunities outside London and expanding the diversity of the company’s creative contribution.JOB PURPOSE
Channel 4 is a world class entertainment brand. Our objective is to further build our world class social media presence.
We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic Social Media Assistant to help us achieve our objectives. You will assist the Social Media Managers in delivering first rate digital strategies, campaigns and content representing our main brands across Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, TikTok and any other platform that makes sense.
Familiarity with the social media landscape, including what our competitors are doing and how we might do it better, is essential; you’ll be shaping what, when and how we publish to our accounts, taking part in projects ranging in complexity from a single tweet to an entire platform strategy. You’ll be handling things at the simpler end of the spectrum with little input from elsewhere but working with, and taking direction from, others at the more complicated end.
You will support the Social Media Managers in creating and updating publishing calendars to syndicate a wide array of content across multiple platforms. This will include (but is not limited to) approving and amending social copy and understanding and conveying the right tone of voice for the accounts, and ensuring all content is optimised fully to reach the right audiences.
In addition you will work closely with 4Studio’s Content team who’ll be making the content, as well as strategic and analytic roles within the Social team to assess trends, analyse engagement, help inform publishing strategies and ensure our Social Media presence is always ahead of the curve.KEY RESPONSIBILITIESPutting It Out There
You’re On It!
- You will be required to publish and schedule content across all social media channels (including individual show channels). This will include channel management across multiple platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- You will need to contribute to effective social media strategies from scratch both for our brands and for individual series / programmes. An understanding of Channel 4 output is essential.
- You’ll be interested in social media trends and adept at using content discovery and social media monitoring tools to assess the landscape in real time and ensure our accounts are timely and engaging.
- The vast majority of our output is video, but you’ll need to be equally comfortable with stills and the written word as well.
A Team Player
- You need to be super organised, keeping on top of asset deliveries, scheduling plans and ensuring the content team and the publishing team have everything they need to make the best social content. You’ll also be required to keep meticulous records of published materials and ensure everything is up to date.
- Attention to detail is essential – not only with your own inputting of text and data but in checking over other people’s work.
- You will need to have excellent time management skills to ensure everything is done to a high standard and on time.
- You will be required to manage the sometimes competing demands of key stakeholders. Coolness under pressure and excellent powers of persuasion are required.
- You will need to be able to explain both problems and solutions in layman’s terms. This will be important when “managing upwards”. Great communication skills are a given.
- You will need to have a good working relationship with Legal & Compliance and a solid understanding of what is and isn’t good practice.
- You will need to be able to understand the different brand purposes, tones and behaviours of Channel 4 and its shows.
- Our target audience are diverse and Channel 4 exists to promote diversity. You will need to be empathetic towards a variety of audiences and be able to interact with them in ways that feel natural to them.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Whether it’s about our programmes or anything that interests our target, you will need to be able to create conversations and join ones that are already happening (e.g. on Reddit or Twitter).
- Many of our programmes have groups of fans online. You will need to understand how to engage and enthuse these fans so they extend the reach of our content.
- We want to be seen as a cutting edge brand. You must be abreast of developments in the world of social media and what the opportunities might be for us.
- You will need to be curious and a voracious consumer of culture, and ready and willing to feed back new social trends to the wider team.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a team that has developed brilliant creative work.
- Demonstrable experience of using scheduling tools, creating social publishing calendars and engaging with communities.
- Understanding and experience of optimising social content across a multitude of different platforms to reach bigger and/or focused audiences. You’ll know why thumbnails, titles, metadata and tagging are as important as what’s in the content itself.
- Demonstrable experience using social measurement and reporting tools, and how you’ve learnt from them to inform future social community management.
- Experience in a broadcast or entertainment environment an advantage.
- You will need to be willing to work in a rota so Channel 4, E4 and All 4 are all active at key times. This will sometimes require working at evenings, weekends and bank holidays. You will get time off in lieu for doing so
- While we embrace agile working, you will be primarily expected to work from the Leeds office if you are on duty between 0930 and 1800 from Monday to Friday. If you are on duty outside these hours you are welcome to work from the toilet or the moon as long as you get the job done
- You will be eligible for all Channel 4’s employee Benefits